Friday, December 01, 2006

Three year old Throw up and Ear Infections

Hopefully from the title of this post you can tell how wonderful and relaxing the past two days have been in our household. Carson started crying completely out of the blue on Wednesday night and holding his ears. He asked for band aids to make them better. The night progressively got worse from there. Never in my history of parenting has an ear infection in either of my children presented so quickly or so violently. Motrin didn't help. Tylenol didn't help. Sleeping with Mommy and Daddy with a heating pad on the pillow sort of helped but not really. He also had a fever of 103. Needless to say, Mommy and Carson didn't sleep at all Wednesday night.

At 5am Carson started screaming and then yucky yellow, purulent drainage started flowing out of his right ear. He had perforated his typanic membrane. Can you say OUCH!! Carson kept saying, "Snot is coming out of my ear Mommy.....make it's hurting me!". Preschool was definitely out for Thursday so I called the bus department by 7am and the school to let them know Carson would be absent. Unfortunately Thursday is the only day our Pediatrician's office opens late. So we waited patiently while Carson lay in my bed and I tried to take care of him even though I was on Percocet and unable to pick him up or really move around well at all until 10am when the doctor's office opened. Whew. An appointment at 12:30.

Carson didn't move all morning. At all. For anyone who knows Carson, this is unheard of. Our child even moves and jumps and runs with pneumonia or a fever of 105.6 in the past. Thankfully my Mom was helpful as always and we were able to get him dressed and off to the pediatrician by 12:30. He lay motionless on the exam table and wouldn't even eat a blue Popsicle that his favorite nurse brought him! Our ped said he did perforate his right ear and his left ear is severely infected. Carson had also lost another pound of weight from his weight two weeks ago and is now 34lbs and 43" tall. Skinny boy. We left with a script for Omnicef and Tylenol w/ Codeine for the pain.

Then the vomiting started. Carson threw up the rest of the day. Projectile. All over me, the toys, the couch, the floor, etc. It was lovely. I just wanted a nap but "mommy mode" kicked in and I tried everything to make my baby feel better. He wouldn't take the Tylenol with Codeine because it tasted terrible (I don't blame him). He didn't eat or drink anything all day long. My poor boy. Today he is doing much better even though he says his ears still hurt. There are no more signs of throwing up thankfully. He's back to eating and drinking and playing with his toys. He even got a few pushes and shoves in at Eli for good measure. I am just praying that Eli and I stay far away from the GI bug Carson had because I can't imagine throwing up with my 8" incision and Eli can't throw up due to his Nissen fundoplication AND he has his big surgery on Monday morning! For now I'm heading back to the couch to try and recover and watch Carson play with his toys and act like my lovable three year old once again.

No comments: