Wednesday, May 16, 2007

Update and a Bloody Surprise

Just a quick update because I'm exhausted....

Thanks for all of the prayers guys! You are all the best. Eli is home from the hospital now but last night was interesting to say the least. I originally took him down to the ER because of his wheezing and temp but when I was dropping off Carson at my parents house he started retching. I vented him in the car before I left their driveway from his g-tube and tons of blood came out instead of the air I was expecting. When we got to the ER his temp was 104.2 and he was diagnosed with gastritis, a GI bleed, and an unknown virus that was causing the wheezing/temp. He had 4 x-rays of his chest and abdomen, was put immediately on NPO status, and had an IV placed. Surgery came down and assessed him because they thought he was going to have to be taken to the OR to stop the GI bleed. Thankfully the bleeding slowed and after a gastric lavage with saline and a CBC, the surgeon decided it was okay to let him go home on "blood watch".

Now we are home with an Eli with 102-104.3 fevers, pain, fussiness, and irritability. He isn't eating much and we're venting him q1hr to check for bloody drainage. If he has an increase in blood drainage from his g-tube or blood stools, back to the hospital we go for surgery. We meet tomorrow with his normal surgeon as well as his GI doctor to discuss where we go from here. His wheezing is much better and his lungs are back to "Eli normal". I just wish I could make my baby feel better. They also put him back on Prevacid because they think one possible explaination for the gastritis is too low of an acid pH in his stomach causing an ulcerated area. He hasn't been on any GERD meds since his Nissen fundoplication surgery 12 months ago.

I'll keep everyone updated but I just wanted to pop in and let you know how things went last night and thank you all for caring about us!

Tuesday, May 15, 2007

Prayers Please

Eli is pretty sick. He has a fever of 103.4, is extremely lethargic, and has been wheezing w/o regard to his Albuterol and Flovent for almost 24 hours. Please pray that it is not aspiration pneumonia as he has been having more difficulty the past few days with his liquids (more than normal ;) ). I'll update with more info as I get it.....