Tuesday, December 12, 2006

Is it May yet??

It looks like this winter will have a recurring theme.....sickness in our home. The preemie boys are at it again with croup, wheezing, and an all-over feeling of crappiness. Carson started on Sunday night saying his ear hurt and he didn't fall asleep all night until 5:20am. Yes, you read that correctly, I did say 5 in the morning. Then I had to be up at 6:30am for Eli's wake-up call. Good thing no camera crews were waiting for me outside my door. Carson missed school and earned an afternoon trip to the pediatrician instead. He has another raging ear infection ready to perforate in the same ear (his right) as last time and a moderate one in his left. His tonsils are also looking large as always. We now are on antibiotics for 6 straight weeks to see if we can control the bacterial growth from causing so much pain and damage to his ears. He also has an ENT appointment after the first of the year to schedule surgery to get his tonsils and adenoids out. If the ENT thinks his ears still look bad after 6 weeks of antibiotic treatment, they will most likely place tubes at the same time as the T&A surgery. Chalk one more surgery date up for our family.

Eli started with his croupy cough today and hasn't stopped hacking since. I'm praying that he is able to stay out of the hospital this time. His battle with croup a month ago landed him in Children's Hospital on the respiratory floor for a few days and I'm just not looking forward to that again. The good news is the steri strips came off his thigh incision today and it looks like it is healing well. He keeps pointing to both surgical sites and saying "owie" though so he is still getting Tylenol during the day and Tylenol with Codeine at night.

At least I'm building great med/surg nursing skills by caring for my children at home! Carson is now on eight daily medications but Eli is thankfully only on two. I just have Eli's MIC-key button cares, surgical site care, tube feeds, and therapies as 'nursing jobs'. Children's Hospital better hire me when I graduate and pass my NCLEX.

1 comment:

tiffany said...

I can't think of a better children's nurse than you! Anyway sorry to hear about the latest round of colds. I am dying from lack of sleep dealing with one very sick baby. I dont know how you cope with two. I really miss being isolated our first winter and not having to deal with virus after virus. Oh well. I keep thinking every cold our boys get through makes them stronger...I hope.