Monday, September 11, 2006

Five years later

I don't know why I decided to skip my morning Anatomy and Physiology class the morning of 9/11, but I did. I remember waking up in my dorm room in TN and turning on the TV to see images of the first tower burning and wondering what was going on. I watched alone in my room as the second tower was hit and chaos erupted. Was this really happening? It was like I was in a daze that I couldn't break myself from. I watched the whole morning as history unfolded before my eyes. My normally social trip to the cafeteria to meet my volleyball teammates for lunch was surreal. The student body was going through the motions and everyone in the cafeteria had their eyes glued to the television to see if there would be any explanation for the events of the morning. Or worse yet, more events similar to that morning. Classes were cancelled. Volleyball practice and our upcoming matches were cancelled. I threw myself into CNN and trying to learn as much as possible about the current events as I could. I ordered a subscription to Newsweek. I researched. I wrote essays for my writing class. My mind was young and impacted by 9/11 not only due to the magnitude of the attacks on our nation and the Americans that were murdered that day, but also due to where I was in my own life at the time.

I pray our country continues to remember the victims that were murdered five years ago today. Remember them not to use them as a political pawn or as a ratings booster but because they were murdered by extremists who tried to destroy what our nation is built upon.

No comments: