Tuesday, January 13, 2009

Cast Off


Today was the big day .... off with the cast!! Elias had his whole day planned out. He was going to school, eating lunch, playing with trucks, getting the "stinky green cast" off, then coming home for the longest bubble bath known to a preschooler. Thankfully that is exactly how the day went (with a trip to Starbucks for a treat thrown in after his ortho appt). The only unfortunate part to the entire day was when Eli tried to walk for the first time.

He simply could. not. do. it. ACKK! What were we going to do? He was crying because he was scared. I was nervous because of what a big set back this was in his muscle strength. Carson was worried about his little brother. And Al just wanted everyone to calm down and recollect. The ortho said it will take Elias awhile to get back to walking normally because he lost a lot of muscle mass in both legs on top of his underlying hypertonia and tight tendons. He basically has to relearn to stretch out that ankle and straighten out his hip and knee correctly again.

The poor thing is scared to walk not and gets very frustrated. He said the kids will make fun of him and call him a baby at school. He is doing a bit better after his bath and a good, long stretch. My God was his leg nasty! Al wouldn't even touch it. The skin was sloughing off and stunk to high heaven. He also has some reddened areas along his bony prominences from cast pressure that will need to heal. The xray looked great though and we don't have to see ortho again!! Back to full time physical therapy and adaptive physical education. YAY!

2 comments:

abby said...

Poor guy! I hope his muscles have a lot of memory and that he's up and running soon.

Anonymous said...

Your blog page is neat. Your kids are very cute! I don't know a lot about blogging, so forgive me if I'm not doing it right. I found your site because I was searching the internet for information on endometriosis in the left abdominis rectus muscle and the left psoas muscle. I read in your blog about last year when you went through this same surgery. I have had 3 c-sections and 3 amnios. I have had cyclic pain that brings me to tears for 7 yrs now. The drs. haven't been much help. Recently I did my own research to figure out what my problem was. So I found a dr. that specializes in endo. In Oct. 2008 I had a bump removed by my c-section scar and it turned out to be endometriosis (they call it scar endo or incisional endo). But, I still had the cyclic pain in a couple spots by belly button on the left side. So the dr. had me do an MRI in Dec 2008 which showed a spot in my left abdominis rectus muscle and a spot in the left psoas muscle. Now the general surgeon wants to remove the endo by doing surgery again. I would like to hear from someone who's been through this surgery before. Should I deal with the pain and not have the surgery? How long did it take you to heal? Does the ab muscles look normal (equal to the other side) after surgery? Can you do normal activities or does it bother you where they cut into the muscle? I've lived w/ the endo pain for 7 yrs now. The spot they removed in Oct. was much more painful than the remaining two spots. Thanks for any help you can give on this topic. You can also email me at jlw2875@hotmail.com Thanks!
jenjyrel